Slow cooked goat in Nero Davola with potatoes and carrots
- 4 kg - goat shoulder and shanks, cut into 150gr pieces
- 4 lt - Nero davola wine (southern Italian grape varietal)
- 3 - onions rough chop
- 200ml - red wine vinegar
- 3 carrots - rough chop
- 3 celery - rough chop
- 1 bulb - garlic peeled
- 200gr - prosciutto fat
- 5 - whole tomatoes- chopped
- 2 lt - reduced beef stock
- 20 - crushed whole peppercorns
- 3 - bay leaves
- 12 - baby carrots, peeled and roasted with olive oil, garlic and rosemary
- 4 - potatoes peeled and cut into ¼ roasted with olive oil, garlic, sliced lemon and rosemary.
Marinate the goat pieces in the red wine and chopped vegetables for 24 hr.
After the 24 hours have passed, strain out the meat and vegetables and keep all separate. Heat a large heavy based pan and sear the goat until you reach a rich golden brown, add the rough chopped vegetables and continue to roast well. Once you have a sealed and colored the vegetables and meat well add the wine from marinate, red wine vinegar, garlic, prosciutto fat, tomatoes, peppercorns, bay leaf and beef stock, bring to boil and then cover and braise in oven for at least 3 hours until the goat meat is falling off bone.
Take the meat out and discard the vegetables. Reduce the sauce by 2/3, strain and check for seasoning.
Infuse the sauce with a little thyme and fresh cracked white pepper.
Serve with freshly roasted baby carrots and lemon scented potatoes.