- 9 thin pieces of veal escalopes, beat with a meat mallet between two sheets of cling film
- 200g sliced round pancetta or Mortadella
- 2 hard boiled egg cut into wedges
- 300g fresh breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 clove of garlic, finely minced
- ½ an onion, chopped
- 200g beef mince
- 200g sausage without the casing
- 2 handful of grated parmesan
- 50g sultanas soaked in warm water
- ¼ cup pine nuts, toasted
- ½ cup Italian parsley, chopped + extra
- Salt and pepper
- 200g tomato passata
- Basil leaves, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
To make the stuffing, heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over a medium heat, add the onions and garlic sauté until soft. Allow to cool slightly.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the mince meat, sausage meat, soaked sultanas, pine nuts, cooled onions and garlic, parsley and 1 handful of parmesan. Season with pepper.
Place a slice of pancetta on the veal escalopes. Portion stuffing and place in the centre of each of piece of pancetta and veal. Place a wedge of egg on top and roll to encase the mince. Fasten with toothpicks or twine.
Combine the breadcrumbs with the extra parsley and a handful parmesan. Roll the parcel in the breadcrumb mixture until coated and press firmly so it sticks well.
Place the passata into a baking dish and then nestle the parcel in the sauce. Drizzle with oil and season with salt. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until cooked.