Braised Beef with Polenta Cremoso
TIME: 1HR 15 MINS, PLUS 8-14 HOURS MARINATING
Beef is marinated in red wine, caramelised in a pan with mushrooms, then braised in the Thermomix until it’s melting tender and full of flavour. Just before serving, polenta is cooked with butter and cheese to irresistibility.
- 1 kg grain-fed blade or rump
- beef, in 2cm dice
- 500 ml red wine
- 80 grams plain flour
- 1 tablespoon Magic Dust (see
- page 3), or use 1 teaspoon salt
- and 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 100 grams mushrooms,
- 100 grams bacon, diced
- 100 grams parmesan, cut in 2cm cubes
- 700 grams water
- 100 grams polenta
- 120 grams unsalted butter, cubed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- fresh truffle, optional
- chopped parsley, to serve
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 stick celery, diced
- 100 grams olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig thyme
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- 400 grams beef stock
1. Marinate beef in the wine overnight, or for 8-14 hours. Strain beef, retaining wine. Mix flour with Magic Dust. Dust beef in flour mixture and shake off extra flour. Heat oil in a heavy-based pan. Cook beef in batches, adding more oil as necessary until meat is caramelised and dark. Add the mushrooms to the pan and stir to cook until soft, and the flour has started to thicken into a sauce. Add bacon and stir to combine, cooking until bacon is cooked and beef is well coloured. Braise
2. Place carrot, onion, celery, olive oil, bay leaf and thyme into mixing bowl. Saute 3 min/Varoma/speed 1. (As I say in the video, you can also roughly chop the carrot, onion and celery then dice them in the Thermomix for 2 sec/speed 5.)
3. Add tomatoes and cook for a further 3 min/Varoma/ speed 1.
4. Add caramelised beef mixture to mixing bowl, along with marinating wine and beef stock. Cook for 40 min/80ºC/ Reverse/speed 1. Set braised beef aside to keep warm. Clean and dry mixing bowl.
5. Place parmesan cheese into mixing bowl and grate for 8 sec/speed 8. Set aside.
6. Insert butterfly. Add water and heat for 5 min/100ºC/ speed 1. When water has reached 100ºC, set for a further 5 min/100ºC/speed 1, adding polenta through the hole in mixing bowl lid.
7. Add butter and grated parmesan and mix for a further 1-2 min/100ºC/speed 1. Taste for salt and pepper and add as desired.
Place polenta into serving dish or plates. Top with braised beef. Scatter with parsley and, if using truffle, grate over the top just before serving.
• Barolo is a red wine produced from Nebbiolo grapes in the northern Italian region of Piedmonte. It’s a premium wine, definitely too good to cook with… except if you’re Joe! Please don’t use Barolo at home: any full-bodied red wine will do!
Joe's Magic Dust
- 80 grams rock salt
- 10 sprigs thyme, leaves only
- handful marjoram or parsley
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon white peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
Place all ingredients into mixing bowl and blend for 30 sec/ speed 9.